Frances | October 30, 2012
Get a $30 Home Depot Lawn & Garden coupon by playing the Facebook Zombi Mulch game.
Continue playing until you are able to redeem the $15 gift card, then go back and redeem the $10 and $5.
CLICK HERE to get started
This game takes a while to play an a long time to load. The game would not load on one of our computers.
Frances | June 22, 2010
Have you noticed Frugal Fairhope has featured the Swagbucks, Ebates, & MyPoints programs this week? Have you been wondering if you are missing something when you make an online purchase? Are you getting the best possible deal? While we support our local business as much as we can, reality is, sometimes you can get things a lot cheaper on line. Here are our purchasing steps:
- Call, email, and/or visit the local stores to find the best price. Ask the store if they will price match online store prices.
- We use Swagbucks to search for the item. Swagbucks uses the Google search engine so this will give us all the sites that have this product for sale. We are very selective on what company we use to order products on line. We look for a reputable company and will go back and do a Swagbucks search on the company to see the feedback.
- If the product is much cheaper online (including shipping & tax) we will then click over to our Ebates and MyPoints accounts and search for the company. This gives us the opportunity to earn cash back or points for this purchase.
- Once we have decided on a store, we check the different sales and offers that the store may have. Do they offer an on line discount code? Free shipping to the store? Percentage off when you use their reward cards?
Once we have gone through these steps we are ready to make the purchase. To give you an example of how this works, let’s look at purchasing the Swing Set Accessory, Binoculars.
- We searched the local stores for the binoculars and found them in Lowes and Home Depot for around $24 + tax.
- We searched on Swagbucks for “Swing Set Accessory Binoculars”. We won 12 Swagbucks!
- We then went back to our Ebates and MyPoints accounts and search for the companies from the Swagbucks search that had this product available. You could argue that we are not comparing apples with apples since the binoculars are from different companies and some could be better than others. For this example, they are children binoculars that will be left out in weather and to us they are all made the same, cheaply. If we cared about the quality of these binoculars we would go back to Swagbucks and do a search by company name or model number.
- Lowe’s was not listed on the Ebates and MyPoints sites, but Toys R Us, Target, and Home Depot were listed. See below for the breakdown of what we found from these three stores.
|| On Line Price
| Home Depot
|| $ 18.97
|| 5 points per dollar
|| 3% cash back
|| $ 6.50
|| $ 25.47
| Toys R Us
|| $ 24.99
|| 2 points per dollar
|| 1%-2% cash back
|| $ 4.98
|| $ 29.97
|| $ 24.99
|| Spend $50 Get 10 points
|| 3% cash back
|| $ 10.30
|| $ 35.29
As you can see Home Depot by MyPoints would be the best deal. We would only receive 3% back from Ebates ($.59) but get 90 points from MyPoints where we could turn this into a future gift card.
We are Frugal Fairhope so we won’t stop there.
If you have a MyPoints account for a while you may have 1,600 points to order a $10 gift card or 3,850 for a $25 gift card from Home Depot? Here is how Frugal Fairhope would purchase these binoculars:
Home Depot Binoculars $18.97
-$25 MyPoints Home Depot gift card
-Receive 90 MyPoints
Final Price: $.49 + 90 MyPoints